An at-home mask is often just what you need to pamper yourself after a long day at work or just as a regular part of your skin regimen. Homemade masks using natural ingredients are always more pure and less expensive than any store-bought brand, and many of them can be made with ingredients you probably already have in your fridge. Just make sure to use only organic products for your masks, to avoid coating your skin in unwanted hormones or pesticides. Read on for the ten best anti-aging foods that can sit on your face:
1. Strawberries: Strawberries are known for being a veritable skin super-food. They are packed with more vitamin C than oranges, a huge array of other vitamins, wonderful antioxidants, and salicylic acid (the ingredient added to many cleansers to fight acne, get rid of dry skin, condition and exfoliate). You can use organic strawberries as an ingredient in any at-home mask and reap major anti-aging benefits.
2. Avocado: Avocados or avocado oils are often used to treat mature skin, and this fruit is naturally hydrating. Avocados are packed with minerals and Vitamin A and E. When placed directly on the skin, avocado helps prevent the formation of wrinkles.
3. Yogurt: Yogurt makes a wonderful mask all on its own. Use only yogurt made with whole milk, preferably in cream form. Yogurt contains lactic acid, which is commonly used to soften and smooth dry skin and prevent fine lines.
4. Milk: Milk also contains lactic acid, and whole milk applied directly to the skin helps to exfoliate, even the skin tone, and smooth and prevent wrinkles. Mix some milk with a little organic sugar to make a face scrub.
5. Cucumber: Cucumber has long been associated with skin care and is found in some of the top anti-aging products. It has amazing cooling and hydrating properties and strengthens the skin’s connective tissue.
6. Honey: Honey can be applied directly to the face on its own or mixed with another liquid like vitamin E oil or milk and is an excellent humectant (the cornerstone of keeping skin looking young).
7. Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera gel (100 percent pure and organic is best) is one of the most effective natural moisturizers around. It works to smooth and heal the skin’s surface and helps restore elasticity to mature skin.
8. Carrot Juice: Carrots are rich in antioxidants and help to remove toxins from the skin. You can use carrot juice or crushed carrots in any mask or moisturizer for a stronger and richer complexion.
9. Bananas: Ripe plantains are wonderful to moisturize the skin, reduce dark spots and they aid in tightening the skin. Simply mash a ripe banana, apply it on your face for a while. Rinse off.
10. Tomatoes: Have you heard of the tomato splat? Mash a ripe red tomato and let it sit on your face for 10 minutes. Tomatoes are excellent skin lightening agents, they reduce dark spots, soothe sun burnt skin giving your face a youthful glow.
Happy Skin= Happy You!
This guest post is contributed by Lauren Bailey, who regularly writes for accredited online colleges.
Note: This post has been reviewed and edited by mySkin. All views expressed in this blog post are the personal opinions of the guest blogger. mySkin.com doesn’t favor any particular skincare brand or take advertising from any of them. Our scientific algorithm is entirely unbiased based on your skin profile.