Show me one person who doesn’t want a healthy, glowing skin. All of us are in the quest for healthy, blemish free and definitely, younger looking skin. While you might have a favorite miracle cream or beauty treatment the real secret to how the skin looks begins from the inside. What you eat determines your skin health since it is the nutrients contained in the foods that render the softness, suppleness and healthy glow to your skin.
Here are ten power foods that will give your skin the appearance you work so hard for!
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are a fabulous source of antioxidants along with Vitamin A and C. Incorporating tomatoes in your daily diet will help your system combat free radicals. The Vitamin A and C will help you get taut and smooth skin. Interestingly, you can eat your sunscreen by having tomatoes in their cooked form. Tomatoes contain lycopene which help in protecting the skin against sun damage.
- Broccoli: This lovely green veggie is packed with the nutrient- Vitamin A. The Vit. A in this power veggie aids cell turnover and cell renewal which in turn helps you in getting fresh looking skin.
- Spinach: Ever wondered why Popeye, the sailor never looked dry and withered despite his age? It is because he got pumped up with the power of Spinach. Green and leafy spinach in your soups, salads and pastas are an excellent way to get more Vitamin A power. Spinach is also very rich in iron, folic acid, potassium, iodine, vitamin K and sulphur. Sulphur makes the skin smooth, iron improves blood oxygen levels improving skin appearance and iodine treats skin diseases.
- Oily fish: Fish such as tuna and salmon contain Omega- 3 fatty acids, Vitamin A and D, and minerals such as zinc, phosphorous, iron, calcium and selenium. All these minerals and vitamins are extremely important for maintaining skin health.
- Cantaloupe: This power fruit is low on fat but very high in Vitamin A, B and B6. It is also an excellent source of beta carotene, Vitamin C, dietary fiber and has a very high quotient of Vitamin B complex. Its rich anti oxidants prevent many health problems such as heart diseases and also work very hard to make your skin look luscious and beautiful.
- Oysters: Add some exotic oysters to your diet for glowing, supple and blemish free skin. Oysters have very high levels of amino acids and have a high concentration of natural zinc, selenium and bio active enzymes. Oysters boost collagen production and maintain these fibers which ensure that your skin remains firm and youthful. Oysters are an effective cure for acne by generating new cell growth.
- Low fat dairy: Low fat dairy products are a good source of Vitamin A. Vitamin A is a vitamin that everyone’s skin can use. Most low fat dairy products such as yogurt also contain live bacteria that aid digestion and consequently make your skin look and feel great.
- Nuts and seeds: Go nuts if you want great skin! Nuts and seeds such as almonds, flax seed, walnuts, Brazil nuts are a fantastic source of essential fatty acids and oils that are required to keep your skin looking healthy. Essential vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin A, E, selenium and copper reduce skin inflammation and keep your cell membranes healthy making sure that your skin can hold moisture better. This means you get fresh, plump and fresher looking skin.
- Grapefruits: Grapefruits are amazing for the skin as they are a rich source of Vitamin C and also contain lycopene. The phytochemicals contained in this fruit promote skin health. Vitamin C present in the fruit boosts collagen production and lycopene fights off free radicals protecting the skin against sun damage.
- Avocados: Avocados contain Vitamin A, K, B6,C and also contain minerals such as potassium and copper. These minerals are extremely useful in treating skin ailments. The monosaturated fats and oleic acids contained in avocados keep your skin supple and smooth.
Dears, you are what you eat! Get on with the good food diet and in a couple of weeks you will notice a remarkable change in your skin’s appearance. Don’t forget to add plenty of water to your diet to get optimal food power.
Do you have your very own good food diet? Write in and tell us.