Dry skin is a common and uncomfortable condition. This skin condition is caused due to water loss from the epidermis. The skin produces sebum that protects the skin from moisture loss, but excess washing strips the skin’s natural oils, making it flaky and dry. Dry skin condition may be mild and temporary, but may become a serious skin problem for some. If left untreated, dry skin can lead to eczema, rashes, and other bacterial infections. You do not always have to head to the dermatologist to heal your dry skin.
Here are few simple and effective treatments that can help alleviate symptoms of dry skin easily at home.
1. Milk and milk products: Milk contains lactic acid, a substance that is very beneficial for treating dry skin. Take one teaspoon of milk cream and add a pinch of turmeric to it. Spread it on the face and wash it off after it dries. The mask will not only treat dry skin, but will also make the skin lighter and brighter. Milk products like ghee, yoghurt and butter can be used to fight dry skin. Application of ghee on the skin activates sebum secretion, making the skin smooth and soft. Gently rub some ghee on the affected areas in circular motion so that the ghee gets absorbed in the skin. Leave it for a few hours and then wash it off. A tablespoon of yoghurt applied on dry skin is also an excellent remedy.
2. Oil: Beauty oils can help restore the sheen and health of your skin. It also puts in a protective barrier, which keeps the skin from losing its moisture. Olive, coconut, avocado and lavender oil make a good natural remedy for dry skin. You can also add a few drops of these oils to your bathing water to soak yourself in the oil. Coconut oil works wonders for replenishing the natural moisture of the skin. Coconut oil will make the skin soft and supple. Many people also swear by olive oil for treating dry skin. Olive oil cures dry cuticles, hands, elbows and even removes makeup. Vitamin E oil is used to treat excessive dry skin. The high levels of antioxidants in vitamin E oil fight against skin ageing, flaky and dry skin and other skin problems.
3. Diet: Do not forget to treat your skin inside too. A diet, rich in vitamins, magnesium, and beta-carotene and omega fatty acids, is prerequisite for a healthy and moisturized skin. Consume large quantities of nuts, olive, fruits and vegetables to alleviate dry skin. Fish like salmon and tuna are rich in essential fatty acids. Avoid consuming alcohol and coffee as it can worsen the condition.
4. Avocado: Avocado is useful for treating dry skin. Mash the pulp of avocado and mix one teaspoon of honey in it. Apply it on the entire skin or just the affected areas. This mask will exfoliate and moisturize the skin, revealing a beautiful skin underneath.
5. Glycerin: Glycerin works wonders on dry skin and chapped lips. Combine glycerin with rose water to treat dry and parched skin.
6. Banana: Mash one banana and add a few drops of honey to it. Massage your skin with it for 10 minutes and leave it to dry. Rinse it off to witness a smooth and glowing skin. Banana peel is useful for treating cracked soles. Rub the inside of the banana peel on the cracked heels and leave it for a while. Your heels will turn soft with regular usage.
7. Avoid using soap: Do not wash your skin with hot or warm water. Hot water reduces the natural oils of the skin, making it dry and flaky. Use normal water to wash your face and follow it with an emollient moisturizer. Avoid using soaps and harsh cleanser. Soap is an emulsifier that robs the oil from the skin, resulting in dry skin.
8. Humidifier: You can soothe dry skin by placing a humidifier in your room. Humidifiers infuse the humid air, soothing cracked, itchy and parched skin. The humidifier will not only make the face supple, but will also keep the hands and lips moisturized.
9. Moisturizing: The best treatment for dry skin is daily moisturizing with an emollient cream. Baby lotions are one of the best moisturizers. The moisturizers meant for adult skin contain chemicals and fragrances that can irritate the sensitive skin. Moisturize your skin as soon as you step out of the shower, preferably within 3 minutes.
10. Natural exfoliant: Greek yoghurt is an excellent natural cleanser with exfoliating properties. Mix ½ cup of Greek yoghurt with 1 tablespoon of mashed papaya and apply it to the skin. Massage your skin gently with it and wash it off after it dries.
11. Aloe vera: The aloe vera plant possesses natural healing properties, which treats dry skin. Apply aloe vera gel on the dry and parched areas and leave it overnight for effective results.
12. Oatmeal and honey mask: Adding a cup of oats to your warm bathing water hydrates the skin naturally. The soothing properties of oats help to retain moisture from the bath water. It also contains vitamin E, which treats dry skin. Mix 2 tablespoons of oats with a tablespoon of honey. Apply it on the skin and leave it for 20 minutes. Wash if off and pat dry.
Feeling a little better about your dry skin now? You should! Your skin will glow, thanks to these amazing home remedies. Try them!
Today’s guest blogger, Chetana is an amateur makeup artist and founder of StyleCraze.com – India’s largest beauty network. She is completely addicted to makeup & beauty especially the color play and the process involved.
If you have any questions or need more information, call or message us. We would be delighted to hear from you!
+1 201 500 7077