Men, Dads, Fathers! always on their toes- working hard, shooting ball with children, taking them to school, driving them to ballet or taekwondo – the list just goes on… Skincare in all this milieu takes a back seat and suddenly you notice those fine lines one day!
Here are 5 skincare essentials that will keep your skin in good health.
Your face needs a cleanser! You are hit with dirt, pollutants and the elements daily. Removing all that grime from your face is important. Invest in a skin appropriate water soluble cleanser, using it AM and PM. Will it be fine if I use soap ? No way! Soaps are usually alkaline that rob your skin off its natural moisture leaving it rough and dry.
- For Dry skin the Aveeno moisturizing bar or the Irish Spring Bar soap work wonders.
- Do you have normal skin? MenScience daily face wash or the fresh foaming cleanser from Neutrogena would work for you.
- For Oily skin we recommend the Effaclar Purifying foaming gel by La Roche Posay or The Clinique cleansing mask
Your face accumulates dead skin cells- Exfoliate! Men keep telling me that when they shave they slough off the dead cells. You need to do more! Exfoliate once a week to get back that handsome, chiseled look.
- Is your skin normal? The Elemis energizing skin scrub and the Nivea energizing face scrub will give you results.
- For dry skin, you could go for the Neutrogena Deep Clean Facial Scrub or the Blackhead eraser scrub by Clean & Clear
- For oily skin, the Neutrogena oil free gentle scrub is good.
Hair! Hair! Hair– Shave! Yes, you have to let go of all the unwanted hair on your face with a good shave. Invest in a pre- shave oil, a hydrating shave gel/ cream/ foam that is minus the alcohol and take a look at your razor closely. Get a new one when you find the blades going blunt or any part rusting. Your razor has a shelf life- respect it! Do you know that when you shave after your shower, the complete experience is easy with excellent results. Also, shave in the direction of your hair growth.
- Is your skin dry? Edge shaving gel or the Nivea shaving gel for sensitive skin would work for you.
- For your normal skin, try the Neutrogena skin clearing shave cream or the Gillette series shave gel ultra comfort
- For your oily skin, the Clarins Men Smooth Shave is good.
Your skin demands hydration: Regular shaving, out doors, working in temperature controlled environments robs your skin off water. Water is vital to keep your skin looking healthy. Invest in a moisturizer that works for your skin. Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily to hydrate from the inside-out.
- For dry skin, you’ll love the Aveeno daily moisturizing lotion or the Cerave moisturizing cream.
- Is your skin normal? Invest in the H2O+ Milk Body lotion or Neutrogena Ageless Essentials night moisturizer
- For oily skin, The Avene Eau Thermale Cream for intolerant skin or the Vaseline Men Fast absorbing body and Face lotion are wonderful
Screen your skin with Sunscreen! Its true that a man’s skin is less sensitive to UV radiation, but this does not mean, it is impervious. Sun exposure is foremost in making your skin dull, leathery, lackluster and unhealthy. Apply a sun block before you step out. Enjoy the outdoors with family and friends:)
- For normal skin invest in The Banana Boat Sunblock
- If your skin is oily, the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Liquid Sunblock or the Ultra Sheer Dry touch sunblock should work.
- For dry skin, try the tinted anti aging sunscreen by Laser Cosmetica.