If you’re into skincare, wellness or beauty products in general, you’ve probably heard a lot about essential oils, aromatherapy and the benefits it has to our health.
If all those stories weren’t clear enough or sounded like bogus to you, let the experts – that would be us, of course – explain in short what all those terms mean and how you can actually benefit from using essential oils in your home.
Aromatherapy is based on using aromatic plant oils to alter one’s mood, cognitive, physical or psychological well-being. Essential oils are the most commonly used type of aromatic plant oils in aromatherapy. Aromatherapy does work, simply because we know certain plants have been used for centuries to relieve certain types of pain, aching or discomfort.
Now that we’ve past the basic stuff, let’s see just some of the things you can use essential oils for:
- As a natural scent or air freshener for your home: Mix lavender oil with water (1/4 oil, 3/4 water) and use it as a naturally made scent. It’s especially great when applied to clean pillowcases – not only does it smell lovely, but the lavender also helps you relax and therefore fall asleep easier!
- Relieve your sores and aches: Peppermint oil is really great for relieving pain. Apply it to a sore muscle or even better: when you have a headache, but you would rather not take pills, massage a few drops of peppermint oil on your temples and it should go away.
- Inhalation help: If you have any kind of respiratory issues, try adding eucalyptus oil to your bath or a cup of hot water and inhale it. it works great with asthma, cough and cold issues as well.
- Skin healing: Patchouli oil is widely known for helping skin heal. If you have some rough patches or a skin infection, blend some of this oil with a massage lotion or body milk and apply to the problematic area.
- Circulation booster: Go away, cold feet! If you want to improve your circulation, massage rose oil to the areas such as hands and feet. Rose oil improves your blood flow but it’s also great for your skin, so you get a 2 in 1 treatment!
Aromatherapy and essential oils are increasingly being used as remedies, mood boosters and beauty secrets. We’ve only listed 5 out of hundreds of oils and recipes there are – share some more with us in the comments or on our Facebook and Twitter pages!