Having great looking skin is something every woman wants. Most women use tons of skincare products and spend money on visits to the dermatologist just to make sure that their skin is well taken care of. Unfortunately, not a lot of women can afford to spend so much money on their skin. While skincare products definitely play a role in making sure your skin is flawless, there are ways for you to achieve great skin without breaking the bank. In fact, some methods won’t even require you to spend money at all!
Here are five skincare methods you can give a shot at:
1. Drink lots of water: The human body is made up of almost 60% water. Water is very important in flushing out toxins in the body, regulating body temperature, and of course, making sure that the skin is supple and healthy. On average, you should drink around 8 glasses of water a day. This will ensure that your skin gets the hydration it needs thus preventing it from drying out. Additionally, drinking lots of water will also help in controlling oily skin resulting in fewer breakouts.
2. Get enough sleep: Your body re-energizes and rejuvenates during sleep. It is also during sleep that your pores open up and are able to breathe and get the oxygen it needs to stay healthy. Notice how you breakout when you lack sleep? That’s because your skin is not getting enough oxygen and instead of breathing out excess oils and deep seated dirt, they get trapped in your pores. So make sure that you always get enough sleep at night.
3. Eat right: You’ve probably heard it dozens of times — what you put in your body will affect how it functions. So if you eat mostly unhealthy food like junk food and fast food items, it’s only a matter of time until it will show on your skin! After all, these kind of foods lack natural vitamins and minerals that your skin needs to stay healthy. Instead of reaching for a bag of chips during snack time, why not try munching on an apple? Also, make sure that your meals are always balanced. Have sufficient proportions of meats and vegetables every day. Furthermore, don’t overcook your vegetables because that leaves them with almost zero nutrients.
4. Don’t smoke or drink alcoholic beverages excessively: If you’re already a smoker, you should seriously think about quitting while it’s still early. You’ll notice a significant difference in your breathing and the overall appearance of your skin after only a week of breaking the nasty habit.
When it comes to drinking alcoholic beverages, it’s okay to drink a little but not too much. Alcoholic beverages will leave you dehydrated especially if you’ve had a lot to drink. Minimize your alcoholic intake and always make sure to drink lots of water before you go to bed. Not only will this prevent you from having a hangover, your body will also get the help it needs to prevent dehydration.
5. Practice your skincare routine religiously: One of the most important things for achieving great looking skin is making sure that you have an effective skincare routine in place. This is where it becomes a little tricky because this is something that you definitely have to spend money on. But don’t worry! There are a lot of skincare products that are cheap but deliver excellent results. Remember, high-end skincare brands aren’t perfect so don’t think that they’re the only answer to your skincare woes.
First off, make sure that you choose a facial cleanser that is suitable for your skin type. It is always best to stick to those that have a gentle formulation no matter your skin type because they’re less likely to irritate your skin. Second, choose a good facial toner. One that has very little alcohol content would be your best bet. It also wouldn’t hurt if the facial toner of your choice has pore minimizing properties especially if you have oily skin. Next, choose the best moisturizer by researching what types work well for your skin type. Cream moisturizers are good for dry or normal skin types while gel or serum-based ones are great for combination or oily skin. Lastly, make sure to always put on some sunscreen before you go out. This will protect your skin from the harmful rays of the sun and help in battling premature aging.
Always keep in mind that natural ways to keeping your skin healthy won’t deliver instant results. But then again, neither do expensive skincare products. Make it a point to be patient in seeing how they will benefit your skin. Since you won’t be spending a lot of money in them, they’re definitely worth practicing.
Cheers to happy skin!
Guest blogger, Amanda is a writer for SkincareHQ.org which recently featured an article on “The Best Foundation for Combination Skin”.
Note: All views expressed in this blog post are the personal opinions of the guest blogger. mySkin.com doesn’t favor any particular skincare brand or take advertising from any of them. Our scientific algorithm is entirely unbiased based on your skin profile.