Your skin is your body’s largest organ. It’s complex and multi-layered. How well do you know it? Changes in health, weight and just the process of aging have an effect on skin’s elasticity.
Here are the 10 top facts on skin and sagging:
- Collagen and elastin, two proteins necessary for skin health because they offer support and elasticity, can be found in the dermis (middle layer of skin).
- Fibroblasts are the cells in the dermis that synthesize collagen and elastin.
- Collagen is the most abundant protein in the skin, making up 75%.
- Diminished levels of collagen and elastin cause your skin to wrinkle and sag.
- Reduction of tissue in the subcutis (fatty layer) also causes your skin to sag as well as wrinkle.
- Over time, environmental factors and aging diminish your body’s ability to produce collagen and elastin
- We lose 1% of collagen per year after the age of 29.
- Existing Collagen and elastic are broken down daily by the sun, free-radical damage and smoking. Protect your skin!
- Weight loss causes skin sagging – Skin will stretch out with weight gain. If you lose the weight too quickly, especially when older, the skin cannot bounce back so it sags
- You canslow down sagging by using topical products like over-the-counter retinols or prescription retinoids, which boost collagen production, and vitamin C serums, which help restore elasticity.
Want to know how elastic your skin is? OKU analyzes your skin’s health and makes personalized product and lifestyle recommendations. Learn more and pre-order and getoku.com